Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Star Wars (1977)

So I am watching Star Wars for the first time (yes, finally). #4 on Sunday, #5 last night, and will watch #6 today. Generally not the movie genre I pick out for myself, but since I had the time and it was here, and Colleen wanted me to watch it, thought I would at least give it a try. #5 was much better than #4, and the characters and story are growing on me, although I'm far from hooked at this point. Most interesting to me are the spiritual parallels.

Yesterday I read about how King Saul spared the best of the sheep and cattle when he was supposed to totally destroy the Amalekites and everything belonging to them. He was going to use them for a sacrifice to God. But God wasn't happy and said, "to obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams."

This morning I read about Samuel looking for the next king, and God says He doesn't look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart.

When I read that, it made me think of Star Wars when Luke leaves to rescue Leia and Han, against the wishes of Yoda and Obi, telling him he is not ready to go yet. Then later we discover more information that Yoda and Obi already knew when Luke ran off recklessly to do a "good" thing (save his friends and fight the dark side), a thing he felt absolutely necessary, more so than heeding the words of his trainers.

I haven't seen the last film yet, but it just reminded me of how God does not think the way I think, and He knows infinitely more than I do, and it's better to obey than go off on my bright ideas of things I think are good that differ from what He's said. I only can see the outward situation, but He sees all the intricate workings, much larger and much smaller than I ever will.

Anyway, that's my musings thus far on Star Wars. Found it interesting that my viewings coincided with my readings.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Very Cool- Star Wars is a great series and I'm glad you are enjoying the classic movies! I love how your reading in scripture fell along with the movie- cool to read about- I love looking for parallels of the gospel in movies and books!

Unknown said...

sarah, it's been several days that God directed me thru things i accidentally/unaccidentally read to focus on inwardly stuff (character/attitude)..and just now, i happened to read your star wars and it talks about inward beauty as well..
this is some sort of conviction, eh!
anyway, add me up to your link (http://mariasitorus.blogspot.com) so you can keep up w/ me..
love you always!