Thursday, June 25, 2009

Another Kind of Stuck

Talk about a sticky situation…. I bought some super glue yesterday to fix some shoes for a friend and a ring of mine that had broken. The glue was advertised as having “Up to 2 tons holding power!” Yeah, right, I thought. Talk about false advertising! But I’ll give it a try.


Back at the ranch, I poked a hole in the top, applied the head to the tube, and started squeezing. Nothing came out. I kept squeezing. Some was coming out. Then I was aware of a warm feeling on my hand, and realized that I was stuck. The glue was leaking out at the mouth and not flowing through the attachment. All my fingers except my pinky were holding 2-tons-fast to the tube.

That was about 6:00. I had just returned from an afternoon of running errands. After searching the guest house for acetone, I decided there was nothing left for me to do but turn around and go back to the “mall” to see if a nail salon could help me out. Then I read the instructions and saw that I could try hot, soapy water as well. Eventually I did find some nail polish remover, too.

So, while watching Anne of Green Gables—the Continuing Story, I soaked and pried, using a butter knife to help. First the ring finger came loose, then my index finger, next my middle finger, and last but not least, my thumb was free at 8:15! The thumb was the most painful, but today my hand feels fine. What an adventure.

1 comment:

Chris Winkler said...

Wow...you never what you're getting into when you sign up for this job, huh?