Friday, March 4, 2011

I Love New...

People. Languages. Places. Food. Songs. Sights. Smells.... Basically, if it's new, it's a blast. : ) I got to go to a new part of the country this week. Originally I was going to make the trip by myself, but I am SO glad I didn't. Much more fun (and helpful!) with friends.



Waiting for the van to take us from the city to the mountains.

At 8 am my friends and I climbed into this taxi (above) that had a warning posted: "dilarang kentut" (breaking wind prohibited). Nice. :)



Man I love the mountains! And rice fields. What a sight together.







A local snack Bin Tei (corn soup), home-grown.








A new language. I encountered more than 4 this week. Not sure which this is. One of the languages kept reminding me of Swahili or something African. :)





As we wound around the country roads for 4 hours, so many simple things made me smile from the inside-out:
  • streams
  • mountains
  • bright green rice fields
  • flowers in yards
  • bright blue skies behind thick white cotton clouds
  • rain clouds
  • a dog scratching its back in the dirt
  • bougainvillea everywhere
  • people gathered in a river
  • children at play
Simple things. What I love here is how life happens right out in the open.

No comments: