Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Shack, by William P. Young

I read this book recently, and it gave me food for thought, new considerations about God, some surprising as I read, but so far I can't argue them with scripture (like ideas on hierarchy, the trinity, relationships, responsibility, expectations...) I enjoyed a lot of the quotes at the beginning of chapters as well. So, below are a smattering of quotes, slimmed down considerably from what I had down originally. My favorite is Sophia's: love is just the skin of knowing.

Nothing makes us so lonely as our secrets.

-Paul Tourneir

The soul is healed by being with children.

-Fyodor Dostoevsky

No matter what God’s power may be, the first aspect of God is never that of the absolute Master, the Almighty. It is that of the God who puts himself on our human level and limits himself.

-Jacques Ellul, Anarchy and Christianity

So many believe that it is love that grows, but it is the knowing that grows and love simply expands to contain it. Love is just the skin of knowing.
Sophia

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.

-Blaise Pascal

Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.

-G. K. Chesterton


The darkness hides the true size of fears and lies and regrets. The truth is they are more shadow than reality, so they seem bigger in the dark. When the light shines into the places they live inside you, you start to see them for what they are.
page 174

“Falsehood has an infinity of combinations, but truth has only one mode of being.”
-Jean Jacques Rousseau

...those who are afraid of freedom are those who cannot trust us to live in them. Trying to keep the law is actually a declaration of independence, a way of keeping control...” even worse... “It grants you the power to judge others and feel superior to them. You believe you are living to a higher standard than those you judge. Enforcing rules, especially in its more subtle experssions like responsibility and expectation, is a vain attempt to create certainty out of uncertainty…. Rules cannot bring freedom; they only have the power to accuse.

Sarayu (pg 203)

An infinite God can give all of Himself to each of His children. He does not distribute Himself that each may have a part, but to each one He gives all of Himself as fully as if there were no others.

-A. W. Tozer

I want to do as Mack began doing: learn to live loved (pg 175).

1 comment:

Andrew R. Rogers said...

Cool, Sarah. I like your blog - it's very interesting and fun to read about what you guys have been up to! I love the pics too. It reminds me of the fun times we used to have hanging out watching Shall We Dance and Counterfeit Contessa and eating cookie dough.

Hey, I loved The Shack. And right now I'm reading Blue Like Jazz. If you haven't read it, I think you'd enjoy it. I liked Three too although it was a little more disturbing than some of Ted's books. :)

Alex says hi. :) Love you! Mieke