Sunday, February 8, 2009

Wedding

My friend got married on Thursday. She lives 2 doors down--incidentally, where I go to pop my squats (I know you wanted to know). The village outhouse is located by her house.
On a less earthy note, she is a teacher at the local elementary school.


It is just amazing all the work that goes in to one of these things! I love how the community comes together to make it happen.


Family and friends come from all over the island, and for days there is constant cooking and chatting.
I would love to post at least 20 pictures to show all the work and results, but it takes forever, so here are a few--men stirring the big meat pot, mobs of ladies grinding fresh spices, mega dish-washing duty...


On the wedding day the bride and groom look like a king and queen on a throne. They change outfits several times during the day. The whole ordeal is exhausting. I guess any wedding is exhausting. I just don't ever have the honor of being around the couple during and after the wedding--no honeymoon here; the groom just moves right in with his bride and mother-in-law.

Late afternoon they changed into western-looking wedding clothes and had pictures taken on the beach. Then they changed into traditional Javanese clothes for the evening and some pictures on the bed.









They met just a few months ago. Being "in love" before getting married is not so important here as just making sure you do get married. Apparently it's a sin not to get married. Oops. Anyway, it was an absolutely beautiful day all around. The funnest wedding I've been to here yet--and believe me, there have been plenty. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that she was my good friend. :)

No comments: