Monday, August 24, 2009

One Master

I have slowly been working my way through a book titled, Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free, by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. It has given me some great things to think about. This week I read through Lie #18: “I don’t have time to do everything I’m supposed to do.” Interesting quote from that:

Years ago, I read that the average woman today has the equivalent of fifty full-time servants, in the form of modern, timesaving devices and equipment. That figure may or may not be accurate, but we certainly have many conveniences available to us that were unknown to women of past generations. Imagine going back to the days when there were no dishwashers, microwaves, washing machines, dryers, or automobiles—or even further back to a time when people had never heard of indoor plumbing or electricity.

Hello. Yeah, tell me about it.

Last week I was really struggling through guilt--again (not sure that one ever really goes away for me, but hopefully one day it will!)--and realizing that I have been living my life in a state of mind that focus on everything that is not. What I have not been doing and wonder if I should have been, what village I have not been spending time in and wonder if I should, etc, etc...

As I journaled, I quickly came up with a list of 8 different sources/entities I feel the need to please/appease, and processed through the stresses I felt from each of those. I cried out, "Jesus, you said your yoke is EASY and your burden LIGHT!" Then out of the blue these words came to me:

No man can serve two masters.

It struck me like a blow: I am trying to serve at least eight!

...Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other" (Mat.6:24).

I generally have thought of God in terms of being my Heavenly Father, but seeing him as Master and me as servant really spoke loudly to me. It's an obvious relationship, not a new concept to me or anyone else, and I wondered why it hadn't occurred to me before. In print, it seems cold and impersonal, but to my heart, it is special and intimite. Why? Because acts of service is my strongest love language, and serving others is a passion with which God has gifted me. Over the last several years I have also discovered something about myself: I love being given specific, and direct instruction. So, to decide that God is my One and Only Master is freeing, liberating. Who knows me better? Who knows my limits? What I can do? The areas in which I need to grow? Who loves me more? Who has my best in mind? He is the One I want to serve, from whom I want to take all marching orders.

A current lesson being learned in the life of SJ.