Saturday, September 5, 2009

So, I was fat.

The immigration officer studied my passport. He looked up at me, then quickly back back down to my passport. Up again, then down, and then looked up said, "You were fat before."

Uhhh... Thank you??? How do I respond to that??? Are you complimenting how I looked in the picture or complimenting the weight you think I've lost? I wasn't sure what to say. I just got a new passport in April or May. I said, "That picture was taken just a few months ago."

I still am not sure what I was supposed to understand from his observation, but in this country, there is definitely no point in being offended.

5 comments:

Toni said...

wow.

Heather said...

oh my goodness. Who says stuff like that? You're not fat either. goodness.

Julia said...

beautiful, SJ, thats the only word for you. xxx

Megan said...

Ha, gotta love 'em!

Unknown said...

haha mommy maybe i shd explained here in this country fat is defined as gaining more weight..even though you're super skinny, and gained found pounds they'll say (you look fat)..whatever haha

secondly, maybe what this person was trying to say is 'you looked different'..:)

loveyou!