Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Surprise, surprise, surprise!

I thought I would surprise Charis and stop in Singapore on the way to my upcoming home. My parents were in the U.S. and a friend from Papua was spending the weekend with her for her birthday. Around 11:30 Saturday night I arrived at the apartment and noted that the office light was on. I retrieved the secret key, quietly let myself in, walked into the office and stood just inside the doorway.Mici was sitting on the couch at my elbow, and Charis was in a chair with her body facing me but her head was turned to the TV, making comments to Mici. After about 20 seconds, I wondered when they would notice me? Finally, Mici sensed a presence in the room, turned, and stared at me as if I were a ghost. It took Charis a bit longer, but finally she turned and saw me. Her jaw hit the floor, then her feet started jogging and dancing in place (still seated), and then she started doing a crazy jumping dance, snapping her hands Papuan-style. "Mici, I told you I had a sister!" It took several minutes before I got my hugs. Above is our posed reinactment--faces only, not the staging. :) Oh-so-satisfying to pull that off.

Indian food after church (left) and a Chinese smorgasbord for supper (below), a fun treat from gracious Singaporean friends.

Man I love surprises! So much so, that this was a double/triple-whammy scheme. My parents were due in from the U.S. late Monday night/Tuesday morning and I had not informed them of my plans. So when they arrived at 1:30 a.m. this morning, I was in their bed, praying they would not have heart attacks. Success. And their shock was equally as rewarding as Charis's. : )

Charis's birthday was Sunday and dad's is Thursday. I'll be here for his, too, and then head on to my new post on Tuesday. Going from an island with the population of a large university to one of the largest cities in the world (and less than 1/3 the land), I think I'm the one who is in for the next surprise (pray I don't have a heart attack!).

2 comments:

The Walters Crew said...

Fun! Surprises are great!! So you neglected to mention what your next move is?!?!?!?

Jessica Stock said...

I loved reading this! How fun!