Saturday, August 30, 2008

Of Blinkers and Horns

What's a blinker for? In the U.S. you let someone know the upcoming movement of your personal vehicle by signaling. Here, when someone is coming down the road towards you with their blinker on, it isn't information. It's a command for you: You there! Get over! Make more room. I'm comin' through, and you are not giving me enough space.

What about a horn? If I'm not mistaken, in the U.S. (at least in the city) they are generally used for warning or to announce anger/annoyance. Not here. You'd better honk--at everyone. Anyone you pass on the road--coming towards you or going around. It's a friendly greeting or announcement of your presence, and you might be thought rude or arrogant not to honk. I have gotten so much in the habit of honking at people I pass on the road, that when I'm not paying close attention, I occasionally find myself honking at animals, too, and embarassingly, once at a pile of bricks.

3 comments:

Travelin Fam said...

I enjoy reading your blog and check it often. We are friends of the couple that lives close you. We are moving your way soon and I enjoy reading all about your cultural experiences.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the bricks didn't mind :) lol. Miss You! Fr the Great N.W.

Megan said...

Sarah, this was so funny.