Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Gravel Ice

On Thursday last week we were coming home from language survey work at another school. We were on the motorcycle as usual, and had ventured out the farthest we’ve ever been on the island (35 km/22 miles/1.5 hours from the airport), which was exciting. Roads are great out that way, but eventually you get off the paved road, and the potholes aren't bad, but it's loose dirt and they're working on the roads. We haven't had rain for a few days, so, if you didn't know, dry, loose gravel may as well be ice.

We were approaching a sharp corner, and a truck came around the bend. He was in our lane, and we had no option but to swerve left, and as soon as the brakes were applied, down we went. I'm ok, maybe because I was on the back. Just a few scrapes and bruises. My teammate, however, lost the skin on her big toe and got a deep gash in her knee, but otherwise ok. Praise the Lord our heads and bones are fine! She did lose consciousness for about 10 minutes or so, which added to the excitement. Some really nice men stopped to help. The truck driver left as soon as he saw we were alive. Our language helpers were behind us and they were more shook up than us I think. Some man (still think he might have been an angel) drove our motorcycle, C slumped over his back, with me on the back making sure she didn't fall off. Didn't think our little Honda could hack the 3 of us, but he drove great, nice and slow and in control. He took us to the village secretary's house, and C "came to" on the way. The family was super nice, got water for C, laid out a pillow and mat for her. Turned out we were in a village where we are wanting to do the survey later this month! They were interested in our work and wanted to do the survey.

We stopped on the way home to eat on top of a hill overlooking a gorgeous beach view, and halfway through my slice of tuna, I realized it was alive with maggots. Eeeewwww.... Yeah, more grossed out now than I was then. How long would it take me to get sick from that? Yesterday I was sick to my stomach, but surely 5 days is too long, right?

1 comment:

Brandon & Tammy said...

Glad you guys are ok! Reminds me of when wiping out in the gravel in LML... that is SO disgusting about the maggots- AAHHHHH