Friday, December 4, 2009

Hello Chicago!

I think I figured out a way we can see each other...."

The voicemail was from my best friend from college. Jennie is 2 days younger than I am. We have made a habit of spending our birthdays together--even when I was in Haiti, she came there one year! She moved to Chicago last year, and since I was in IL, I couldn't stand not to get together--especially with our birthdays having just passed. However, she just had a baby 2 weeks ago, which made traveling complicated. So she came up with a plan: I take the train to Chicago! It was a perfect plan.

I was pretty nervous about getting on the train in Carlinville, IL, but it did stop for me and I had delightful, 4.5-hour trip up. I was so excited about being on the train I was about ready to go chat the snack-bar man's head off because I was dying to let it all out! And take my picture with him since the train was practically empty. Hah. Nothing like being a tourist in your own country. :) But I refrained and had a lovely time of journaling, reading, and watching shows on my laptop. They even had electrical outlets for all the passengers!

I had to get on the Chicago Metra after that to take me to Jennie's side of town, but my train was late, so I missed the 12:35 run I had hoped to catch, and had to wait another hour for the next train. While waiting, I got engrossed in a game of sudoku on my phone, and when I checked the time, it was 1:35. I jumped up, ran over to the train track, and there was my train, pulling out of the station. Unbelievable! So I had to wait another hour. I watched some episodes of "The Big Bang Theory," checking my watch every 5 minutes. Ten minutes before the train was due to leave, it occurred to me that maybe I should check the status board and make sure the train was not early. It was flashing BOARDING! I nearly missed it yet again. Whew!





















I had a precious 24 hours with Jennie & baby Grace Winifred and got to meet Daddy Ed as well. They treated me to Chicago-style pizza and it snowed! If you zoom in you can see it falling through the car window. Last time I was with Jennie we played in Portland snow. Jennie & Sarah time is never complete without a mother-load of chips 'n' salsa.

1 comment:

The Walters Crew said...

Oh I'm glad you made it up there! Sounds like it was quite an adventure!! :)