Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Another IL Thanksgiving

Back in May or June my cousin Kallie (1st cousin, once removed) informed her grandma (my Aunt Judy) that I would be here for Thanksgiving this year because apparently I told her 3 years ago that I would see her again when she was 9. How little did I know at that point! I definitely would not have guessed that she would remember that, nor would I have guessed a year ago that it would actually happen. It was my first time to see Aunt Judy without my Uncle Terry, who passed away in March last year. It was weird not to have him in the kitchen taking control. His famous fudge lived on, though, through his niece Amanda and granddaughter Kallie. Aunt Judy was nervous about doing the turkey, but it turned out fabulous. Her sister-in-law managed to make Uncle Terry's yummy croissant rolls.




















I got to spend a few days with my cousin Tami and her 4 girls before they drove down to Disney World for vacation. We ate at Springfield's Maid-Rite Sandwich shop, which boasts of having America's first drive-thru window.

When I wasn't out and about visiting people, I was with my grandma, enjoying life in her assisted-living home.I got to play my flute for the residents before the meals, which I thoroughly enjoyed. My Uncle Steve (mom's youngest sibling) dropped by for a visit the night before I left, and I talked his ear off. In my defense, he kept popping one question after another! :)

My great-uncle Jimmy (grandma's little brother) dropped by one day and said, "Judy told me Sarah was going to be here. I couldn't remember who she was, so I came to see her." :) He is 75 and in great health. Says he has never had a head-ache in his life. He is getting ready to drive all over the south for a month with a lady friend of his and go on a Caribbean cruise while he's at it. I got lots of stories while I was with family, which is always fun.

No comments: