Thursday, November 25, 2010

A Memorable Thanksgiving

On Wednesday evening, out of nowhere I remembered with a jolt, Tomorrow is Thanksgiving!... and I have no plans whatsoever! Nor did I know any Americans here to bum a meal off of. If I was going to have any kind of a thanksgiving, it was up to me.











So yesterday I left work early and did a lot of shopping at the market. Then I opened up all the windows and enjoyed cooking in my lovely kitchen. Thanks to a couple extra hands for veggie preps and artistic touches, I was able to pull off a thanksgiving meal for friends from work and home. It was so fun. I've never tried doing the whole thanksgiving meal on my own.

The menu was limited due to time and availability, so no green bean casserole or turkey. But I bought the biggest broiler I could find (2.5 lbs), and even experimented with stuffing, something I never cared much for. It wasn't bad! The pumpkin pie was completely from scratch, down to crust, making pumpkin puree, and crushing the nutmeg & ginger. Who said making pie crust was easy?!!! I have decided it is NOT. Maybe I need a new recipe or private lessons?

The mashed potatoes were a big hit. I didn't know what Indonesians would think of the food, but they were so excited and appreciative of sharing the meal & holiday with me. I am so blessed.



My family has a thanksgiving tradition of passing around an ear
of maize around the table after the meal, breaking off kernels and dropping them in a bowl as we share things we are thankful for. I didn't have an ear of maize, but one of my guests spotted a bag of raw peanuts, and it was perfect! Life is all about improvising. : )

The rest of the evening, people dropped peanuts in the bowl, expressing thankfulness for various things as they passed through the dining room.

1 comment:

Natasha said...

New recipe? private lesson? Nope, you just need me to come hang out with you in the kitchen ;) I think that may be what i miss the most about being with you guys, its a toss up between hanging out in the kitchen or the garden LOL