Saturday, November 13, 2010

Buddhism & great reads

Last month I sat next to a young girl on the plane who was Buddhist. I asked her a lot of questions, and realized I hardly know a thing about this major belief system, apart from having read Hermann Hesse's Siddhartha in high school. So I have begun studying it. Very fascinating. Currently reading "The Reason for God" by Timothy Keller. So far I highly recommend it. Finding it the perfect accompaniment to my studies on Buddhism.

Here are my notes from
Scribbling in the Sand, which I absolutely loved! Insights into the imagination, creativity and community vs. industry. Humbly presented (as always) by Michael Card. I think I can safely say you will be blessed with new insight if you take at least a couple minutes to skim over it. It is not just for people who consider themselves artists. I bolded the parts that I found especially applicable to anyone. (let me know if the link doesn't work for you)

Lately I seem to be having a lot of lessons in surrender. This song came to mind while journaling this morning, and I bawled as I listened to it over and over, reflecting on my heart as well as the things I'm learning about Buddhism.
It's all about you, Jesus
And all this is for you
For your glory and your fame
It's not about me
As if you should do things my way
You alone are God and
I surrender to your ways

Jesus, Lover of my soul
All-consuming fire is in your gaze
Jesus, I want you to know
I will follow you all my days
For
no one else in history is like you
and history itself belongs to you
Alpha and Omega, you have loved me
And
I will share eternity with you

1 comment:

Brandon & Tammy said...

I really really enjoy this song when we sing it at church! plus has a beautiful tune to go with the great words.